Here is another example, which should have liberals salivating, since they love racial and other identity politics. Last election, one “race” voted about 50/50 for the candidate of a different skin color in both the Democratic Primaries and the Presidential election. Another “race” voted overwhelmingly against the candidate of different skin color in both. If such differences are proof of racism, as liberals claim, which “race” comprises more racists? The answer is: white Americans voted quite widely for Obama, while black Americans voted about 95% against McCain and even against Hillary, who is ideologically almost identical to Obama.
The brilliant Thomas Sowell
If nothing else, this shows that conservatives have an image problem. Unfortunately, the Republicans have been totally inept at solving it. Yet the great columnist and economist Dr Thomas Sowell, himself African American, has been tearing his hair out for a decade trying to drum some sense into these incompetents. That is, establishment have been trying to win the black vote by trying to be a pale echo of the Dems, instead of growing a pair and providing a choice. Wow, that has really worked hasn’t it? They manage to win about 10% of the black vote at most. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result next time. (See Dr Sowell’s columns over the years:
- Are Republicans ‘Due’? parts 1, 2, 3, 4 (2010)
- Republicans and Blacks (2008)
- Republicans and Blacks (2006)
- Dems, GOPers and blacks parts 1, 2 (2000)
- Will the Republicans ever learn? (1998)
But why would anyone vote for an echo when they have the real thing? All this does is repel the real conservatives, who see no reason to vote for the fake ones. Instead, if the GOP had any clue, they would point out how liberals hurt blacks, and show how conservative policies would benefit them. For example:
- The GOP could promote school vouchers that would allow African-American kids to escape failing schools. But the Democrats care more about the teachers unions than black education, as shown by Obama cutting funding for charter schools that helped DC black kids get a better education—and these schools were costing only a third of the government schools. Naturally Obama didn’t send his own kids to the government schools, but instead to one of the best private schools money can buy. The GOP is too scared to challenge the teachers unions—the nadir of political stupidity is to appeasing those who will never vote for you!
- Liberals love welfare. Yet the black family, which survived slavery, vicious racism, and the Jim Crow laws, has been especially decimated by welfare. After all, this rewards women for having babies out of wedlock, and absolves fathers of their responsibility, instead making Uncle Sam the substitute husband.
- The Dems love Planned Parenthood, funding it with taxpayer dollars. Yet its founder Margaret Sanger was trying to reduce the birth of blacks, whom she called “human weeds”.
The GOP was the party formed explicitly to abolish the evil institution of slavery; the Dems were usually pro-slave, or at least “pro-choice” on slaves (“Don’t like slavery? Don’t own a slave!).
What about the other KKK? They were Democrats! The Democratic president Woodrow Wilson just loved the 1915 silent film Birth of a Nation, which portrayed the KKK as heroes, and led to its revival. It’s thus no accident that the Dems were happy to have the late former KKK recruiter Robert C. Byrd as a Senate Majority and Minority Leader.
How about the Civil Rights legislation? The late Robert C. Byrd filibustered it, while Republicans have always been far more supportive:
“In the 26 major civil rights votes after 1933, a majority of Democrats opposed civil rights legislation in over 80 percent of the votes. By contrast, the Republican majority favored civil rights in over 96 percent of the votes.”And guess which party MLK belonged to? No, it wasn’t the Dems!
It was Republicans who’s “Philadelphia Plan” in the 1970s sought to break the construction unions' racial barriers that kept blacks out of skilled trades.
So it has always been liberals who have been the worst enemies of blacks. Nothing has changed: liberals still promote policies that hurt blacks, but they are far more cunning now. They have actually managed to convince 90% of them that they are friends. But as Sowell says, they are friends like Iago, who led the able black commander Othello to his own self-destruction by feeding his suspicions and promoting his paranoia (Shakespeare).
Sowell knows what he’s talking about: he was born in 1930, grew up a poor orphan, and has been thrown out of segregated restaurants. But he strongly rejects liberal policies that really hurt his own people—and strongly urges the GOP to do the same. If they don’t, then these appeasers should be challenged in the Republican Primaries and replaced by genuine vertebrates!
Runaway Slave – A Documentary Movie Teaser